This DIY craft project started when I found this tray in the clearance area at JoAnn’s. The price tag said $7.97, but it was marked down even further to $1.97. Sweet! I just knew I could make something fresh and pretty out of this.
This tray was in need of some love. It’s hard to tell from the picture above, but close up it was in rough shape.
This minor damage was fine with me since I wasn’t planning on keeping the color anyway. I started by taking the tray outside and lightly sanding it. Yes, my sanding block is the same exact color as the tray but no, I did not plan that! It’s just a fabulous coincidence.
After I was done sanding, I just washed it down with a little soap and water. Once that dried, I put a few coats of spray paint on it (Rustoleum Gloss White). I must have forgotten to take pictures of this step. which is probably good because my camera + spray paint= a recipe for trouble. I should just be glad I didn’t get cement on it during my last project.
It took at least 6 or 7 coats (lightly applied each time) of white spray paint to cover the magenta evenly. In between coats, I worked on the insert for the tray. On the same shopping trip that I picked up the tray, I found this bit of fabric for $1.99.
I wanted to line the bottom of the tray with the fabric, so in order to do that I measured the bottom of the tray and cut a big sheet of cardstock to the correct size. Because I’m honest, I’ll tell you that was after I cut one to the wrong size, because I’m no good at measuring or cutting things straight. But who’s perfect, right? Anyway, after I cut it correctly I ironed the fabric to be sure it was nice and smooth, and just wrapped it around the cardstock and glued it down flat, folding the corners like I was wrapping a present.
Next, I spread glue throughout the bottom of the tray and placed the insert on top. I used E6000 glue and placed a bunch of books on top of it overnight to be sure it dried flat against the bottom of the tray.
The next day, I put 3 coats of ModPodge over the fabric, letting it dry a few hours between coats.
Once those coats were dry, I took the tray back outside and sprayed the whole thing with an acrylic sealer in order to protect it. I love how it turned out.
Total cost for this project….Tray: $1.97, Fabric: $1.99. Everything else I already had on hand. So total cost for this was $3.96. Hurrah!
This is hugely dorky, but it makes me happy that not only was this project so inexpensive, but that it made something that started off dingy and damaged into something pretty. What a lovely beefore and after.